On Saturday evening following the Ice Hockey game between Widnes Wild and Solihull Barons, some staff and players were indicating they were experiencing headaches.
On Sunday morning, monitoring equipment identified levels of carbon monoxide in parts of the building and a decision was made to evacuate and close the premises. The emergency gas services were then contacted and notified.
This is the first time we have ever experienced such an incident and are truly sorry that it resulted in people feeling unwell. We extend our best wishes to them all and hope they are now feeling much better.
Extensive investigations, involving our own engineers and external authorities have been conducted and eventually the cause of the problem was found to be within the ice resurfacing machine, equipment that is used in the breaks between periods of play in a hockey game to treat the ice pad.
This machine is currently out of service. The replacement will be tested in a mock hockey game scenario and the premises examined by an air quality expert. If, as we expect, carbon monoxide levels are returned to safe levels and those authorities involved are satisfied, then we will announce a re-opening date.
Welcome to the new Planet Ice website!
Here you’ll discover everything we have to offer at the Planet Ice including ice skating, courses, parties, events, activities, café and much more.
The new look planet ice is looking awesome! A great day out had by all! The team were friendly and inviting! Nikki was very accommodating and kept our party of kids entertained. We'll be back very soon. Many thanks!